Alpha 2022 – the midst of the pandemic. 2 years ago today I wrote ‘I face today hopeful and expectant. I understand exactly what is in my sphere of influence and am only thinking about those things for today. There is no need for the world to intrude on me, in this moment’.
Which feels ironic, written 3 months before Covid was declared a pandemic by the WHO. It wasn’t until I remembered to just concentrate on my sphere of influence that I was able to settle down in that first lockdown and turn my focus from fear and anxiety into action.
It was a good reminder for me that you can only control what is in your sphere of influence and that you need to remain aware of what you can’t control whilst letting go of it. What did you learn?
These are my reflections of last year.
So, what do I hope for this year?
Firstly, like the New Year’s day 2 years ago, I pause and enjoy the quiet of early morning, whilst anticipating the change of the New Year. I ponder on the many things that remain uncertain. For example, will the pandemic fizzle out or rage through the year? How will its path affect the buying intentions of my clients? How many people will I know get Covid and will any of them die?
I can’t really affect any of that, although I will endeavour to stay safe and protect those around me. My work can help lessen some of the uncertainties that others have, whether that is via mentoring, training, consulting or other interventions to increase leadership capability. I will stand ready to assist where I can.
Alpha 2022 – the midst of the pandemic
- This year sees me taking more time out for personal reflection and growth. The importance of taking time out for yourself was well proven last year. I saw too many people burnt out and feeling overwhelmed. I will guard against that for myself, by ensuring that I stay within my passions and not taking on things that don’t bring me joy.
- I will continue to develop my LinkedIn Newsletter – Leadership is personal, where I share Maverick Insights on thriving in a complex, constantly changing world. Do check it out.
- I will also continue hosting and developing: The Maverick Paradox Podcast and The Maverick Paradox @ KLDR Online Leadership Development Radio.
- This year also sees me continuing as HRZone’s Leadership Columnist and Brainz Magazine’s Executive Contributor.
- I am aiming to overhaul my YouTube Channel some time this year too.
- Perhaps this year I will manage to write book 2!
- A launch of at least one group programme will take place this year.
- Increased C-Suite mentoring and Maverick Leadership is also on the cards for this year.
All that said we are still in the midst of the pandemic so no one can be truly sure what they will achieve this year. We can only set the Strategic Direction, ensure that it stays in mind whilst we be more like the Willow. Bending but not breaking in the face of strong winds.
What’s your strategic direction for 2022? Let me know if you need unbiased, objective assistance in getting there.